7/12/2005
Getting started
well, I thought this might be a fun way to get things communicated to the fam. So we'll see how this goes. The fennkids site somehow got thrown away and I didn't save a backup of the code. I haven't had the time or the memory to rebuild it. So until then, this will have to do. This last weekend we went to Tibble Fork in American Fork Canyon. We left Thursday and stayed until Sunday. The weather was perfect, usually in the high 70s, low 80s. We brought the dogs and the ATCs. Unfortunately I spent several hours trying to fix the ATCs since they hadn't been ridden since last fall. So Friday we went on a long hike...
Laura wasn't too happy at first because I started straight up the mountain:-) after a few hundred yards she said, this is something you do with your brothers, not your wife. So we found some other trails and had a nice hike. We ended up hiking about 4 miles, but climbed about 2000 ft in elevation.
The first night we got there and started setting up camp in the dark. We both had headlamps on and Laura went to put something in the truck and there were 2 eyes staring back at her from the bushes! She came running back and I went to check it out and sure enough there was something reflecting back, but it didn't scare off when I got closer so I figured it was a piece of trash or something, but then they moved and blinked! It freaked me out too, but I had to not let it show so Laura wouldn't be too scared. So we quickly stashed everything and got in the trailer.
We finally got the ATCs running Saturday morning and had a nice ride. It was really dusty and there were a lot of other ATVs on the trails, but it was nice. Something is wrong with the 110 carb, so if I stop the engine I have to turn off the gas or it starts pouring out the air filter:) I'm going to try to rebuild the carbs this year. First I need to do something about the rust that is building up in the gas tanks. Anyway, we rode around for about 3 hours all over the mountain.
Overall it was a great trip. There were a little too many people for my taste, but luckily there are enough trees that you don't really see them except when they're driving by.
Laura wasn't too happy at first because I started straight up the mountain:-) after a few hundred yards she said, this is something you do with your brothers, not your wife. So we found some other trails and had a nice hike. We ended up hiking about 4 miles, but climbed about 2000 ft in elevation.The first night we got there and started setting up camp in the dark. We both had headlamps on and Laura went to put something in the truck and there were 2 eyes staring back at her from the bushes! She came running back and I went to check it out and sure enough there was something reflecting back, but it didn't scare off when I got closer so I figured it was a piece of trash or something, but then they moved and blinked! It freaked me out too, but I had to not let it show so Laura wouldn't be too scared. So we quickly stashed everything and got in the trailer.
We finally got the ATCs running Saturday morning and had a nice ride. It was really dusty and there were a lot of other ATVs on the trails, but it was nice. Something is wrong with the 110 carb, so if I stop the engine I have to turn off the gas or it starts pouring out the air filter:) I'm going to try to rebuild the carbs this year. First I need to do something about the rust that is building up in the gas tanks. Anyway, we rode around for about 3 hours all over the mountain.Overall it was a great trip. There were a little too many people for my taste, but luckily there are enough trees that you don't really see them except when they're driving by.